Going green not only saves the planet but most often your money along with helping your community! Here are some tips to go green at home:
- Turn your computers off at night. Even on energy saving mode you are using a lot of energy.
- Turn off lights in the home when they are not being used. This alone can cut energy costs greatly.
- Take your own bags with you to the grocery store. You reduce the use of plastic, and we all know how dangerous plastic is to the environment.
- Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. Reduce the usage of packaged food items. Reuse scrap paper. Recycle old jars.
- Fix leaky faucets. This includes the toilet and the sinks in the home. Even a small leakage can cause good amount of wastage of water.
- Speaking of saving water: Cut the shower time in half and see your work into full swing!
- Keep your tires inflated. Tires that are low of pressure are going to cause more wear on the car and more harm to the environment.
- Pay all of your bills online. This will not only save you time but will also help to reduce paper wastage.
- Buy vegetables that are grown locally. Not only will they taste better they also help you go green and reduce the use of paper, plastics and shipping material.
- Start your own vegetable garden! Learn more about our composting class and check out Penn State’s online gardener’s class.
For more tips click here!