Frequently Asked Questions

Below we have provided a list of Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) to assist in answering any questions you may have.

If you continue to have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Pool liners are not recyclable and should be disposed of at the landfill or put in with your regular trash.

Latex paint can be dried out with kitty litter and then disposed of in the regular trash. The rinsed out paint can be recycled in with the plastic and bi-metal cans.

Oil based paint can be hardened with a product called “Waste Paint Hardener,” which can be bought at the hardware store. One package will harden 2/3 of a gallon. The paint then can be disposed of in the regular trash.

**Note that oil based paint is good for 15 years and latex paint is usable if it is less than 10 years old as long as it has not been repeatedly frozen or thawed. If the paint is mixable, it is usable.

Pressure treated lumber is not recyclable and should be brought to the landfill for disposal.

The Waste Authority accepts batteries for recycling at all our county events.

Regular household batteries (AA, AAA, C and D’s) can be safely disposed of in the trash.

Mercury was phased out of these batteries in conjunction with the “Mercury-Containing and Rechargeable Battery Management Act,” passed in 1996. However, button batteries and rechargeable batteries do contain mercury and must be kept out of the landfills.

Most Home Depot, Lowe’s and Radio Shack’s accept these batteries for recycling. You may go to for additional information.

The first thing you can do with Styrofoam is to reuse it. Break it into pieces and use it to ship packages around the holidays. Styrofoam also makes excellent insulation in outbuildings such as dog houses, tool sheds, etc.

You can also purchase a product called Citrus King Multi Purpose Solvent which contains a citrus peel extract called limonene which shrinks the Styrofoam to 1/20th of its original volume and can then be used as super glue.

Visit Earth911 for additional information regarding the recycling of Styrofoam.

Phonebooks can be placed in with the mixed paper.

The Waste Authority does NOT accept numbers 3-7. 1 & 2 Only

**Please note to rinse out containers to avoid contamination, bees, varmints, and other nuisances.

All boxes with a glossy cover may be recycled in with the mixed paper.

Pesticides are considered hazardous waste and must be disposed of accordingly.

Please call
Chem Sweep: 570-836-2181

Hazelton Oil Salvage: 800-458-3496

Safety Kleen: 570-825-8134

Simply recycle them with the aluminum and steel cans.

Only cardboard that is rippled is considered corrugated. The rest of the boxes must be recycled in the mixed paper bin.

Regular light bulbs can be disposed of in the regular trash.

CFL and Fluorescent Light Bulbs both may be recycled here at the Waste Authority.

CFL bulbs are free. We charge a fee for fluorescent light bulbs based on the length of the bulb. See our bulb recycling page for more information.

If cover is removed, we do accept the paper.

The Waste Authority offers an electronic drop-off program. Drop-off hours are Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 4:00 pm and proof of residency is required. Visit our electronic recycling page to view a list of the items we accept.

Periodically look for pharmaceutical drop-off events that are held in the county. If you miss one, take your needles and/or old medications and drop them into a laundry container, seal the lid with duct tape, wrap in 2 plastic bags, and dispose into the regular trash.

Click here to view the EPA’s recommendation on proper disposal.

Call The Waste Authority at 570-643-6100 and we’ll tell you who accepts yard debris.

The Waste Authority will accept your old refrigerators.

©2019 The Monroe County Municipal Waste Management Authority

Site designed and built by John Edward Trail, and hosted by Site maintained by The Monroe County Municipal Waste Management Authority.

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?